Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Ken Lay- ex CEO of Enron
America's Debate > Archive > Assorted Issues Archive > [A] Big Trials and Legal Cases
Google
popeye47
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/artic...9-2004Jul8.html

Former Enron CEO Lay Surrenders in Houston
Lay Enters Not Guilty Plea to All Charges

Former Enron Corp. chief executive Kenneth L. Lay pleaded not guilty today after being charged with 11 counts of securities fraud, wire fraud, and false and misleading statements in a 65 page indictment unsealed this morning

Do you think Ken Lay should be held liable for the Enron scandal?

Do you think he is guilty?

Do you think he will be found guilty?
Google
DaffyGrl
Do you think Ken Lay should be held liable for the Enron scandal?Definitely. He was the man in charge.

Yes.

Ironically, because his arrest happened so long after all the other crooked CEOs were indicted, and the extent of their crimes was made known, his chances of being found guilty are much higher...in my opinion, of course. tongue.gif

And finally, something I've been longing to say about Kenny-boy:

IT'S ABOUT DARNED TIME!!!!!
TennesseeLeftWinger

Yes, he and everyone else involved in the California energy scheme and the subsequent fall of Enron.

Absolutely.

Lord, I hope so. I just don't get where all the news organizations keep saying that this will "send a message to all the other crooked CEO's." Yeah, right. I wish it would, but I doubt they'll give a second thought to their frauds and subterfuges.
Cadman
w00t.gif DaffyGrl you got that right...............short and quick answers yes, yes yes thumbsup.gif

Like DaffyGrl has said since they have waited so long and worked on others I don't think Kenny is going to be able to find a way out of this mess.

Sort of like Ricky Ricardo used to say "Lucy you got some splaining to do" w00t.gif
DaffyGrl
Kenny-boy hasn't lost any of his arrogance. He actually gave a press conference after his arraignment yesterday, and stated that Andrew Fastow "betrayed his trust"...I wonder if he meant while they were cooking the books or now that Fastow is cooperating with authorities. hmmm.gif
"My worst mistake was entrusting someone in the chief financial officer job who chose to use that position for his own enrichment," Lay said. "But that's with 20-20 hindsight. I knew nothing at the time that would've given me suspicion as to what was going on."

The indictment uses Lay's own words against him. In particular, it focuses on statements Lay made during the fall of 2001, in which he tried to reassure investors and Enron employees that everything at the company was fine.

“During 2001, with specific knowledge of rapidly deteriorating performances of Enron's business units, Lay made numerous false and misleading public statements about Enron's financial condition," the SEC complaint alleges.

Lay's armor cracked earlier this year when prosecutors reached a plea agreement with Fastow. That led to the indictment of Richard Causey, Enron's former chief accounting officer. Soon after, Skilling was added as a defendant in a superseding indictment. Both Causey and Skilling have pleaded not guilty to the charges.
The Street

If you believe him, he was just an innocent lamb led to the slaughter by a bunch of Snidely Whiplash characters below him...wow. I guess these people think it's better to be thought of as an incompetent nincompoop than a shrewd, conniving bast...well, you know.
Lay, once worth $400 million, told The New York Times that he lost most of his riches in the Enron meltdown. His net worth now: $20 million. USA Today

Boo hoo! ermm.gif
Paladin Elspeth

He was in charge at the time, right? He must have known something about it.

An eleven count indictment has been returned against him. Obviously, it sounds like solid grounds for a criminal trial.

Ken Lay has not made himself available to the Feds for some time--it does not appear to be the behavior of a man who is confident of his innocence. That makes me think he was complicit in at least some of what went on at Enron.

I don't know. $20 million can still get you a "dream team" of defense attorneys, right? They might be able to get him off. Even a solid case can be severely damaged if the defense is made up of talented folks.
Beladonna

If he had knowledge and perpetuated the scandal, then absolutely.

I don't know. Our courts will decide that.

See answer above.
amf
QUOTE(DaffyGrl @ Jul 9 2004, 11:49 AM)
"My worst mistake was entrusting someone in the chief financial officer job who chose to use that position for his own enrichment," Lay said. "But that's with 20-20 hindsight. I knew nothing at the time that would've given me suspicion as to what was going on."

If you believe him, he was just an innocent lamb led to the slaughter by a bunch of Snidely Whiplash characters below him...wow. I guess these people think it's better to be thought of as an incompetent nincompoop than a shrewd, conniving bast...well, you know.

Nincompoop, he's not....

Ken Lay is a Phi Beta Kappa and has a Ph.D. in economics. He's definitely NOT dumb when it comes to reading a balance sheet or understanding the money in a company.

To use a famous quote: "That's guilty! Guilty, guilty, guilty!"
cultureofgreed
Most answers here seem to be short and sweet, thus I would like to use a quote by Ralph Nader that sums up how probably most Americans who were swindled by Enron feel. "Make them give it back and send them to jail".
Google
This is a simplified version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.