Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Pregnant Barbie Doll
America's Debate > Archive > Social Issues Archive > [A] Lifestyle Debate
Google
Danya
What's so shameful about a pregnant Barbie Doll? Especially if she's already a properly married mother? It kind of reminds me of the days they wouldn't allow pregnant women to be shown on T.V. The article linked below says:
cbs
"It's a bad idea. It promotes teenage pregnancy. What would an 8-year-old or 12-year-old get out of that doll baby?" asked Sabrina Fagan, 29, of Philadelphia. blink.gif
and...
"In Barbie-land, Midge married boy-doll Alan in 1991, and the happy couple already has a 3-year-old son, Ryan. The pregnant Midge, who wears a tiny white wedding ring, has a detachable magnetic stomach that allows easy "delivery" of the baby."
and...
"But at KB Toys in the Gallery mall in downtown Philadelphia reaction from last-minute Christmas shoppers was negative."

Wal-Mart actually pulled them from the shelf due to complaints. My only question would be what is the purpose of going so far as to allow 'delivery' of the baby. If she was simply pregnant shaped I would think that would be enough. The rest might be too confusing... or maybe not. What do you think?
Google
MadMax
I think ignorance and lack of family involvement have more to do with teenage pregnancy (which is on the slide) than playing with a pregnant doll in childhood.

Let us think here for a minute. Would this doll not open up the lines of communication and serve as something to teach some lessons and values with?

Child: Mommy, why is this doll's tummy so big?

Mommy: Well, the doll is pregnant.

C: What does pregnant mean and how does it happen?

M: Well, C, Midge and Mr. Midge are married, do you see that wedding band on her finger? When people are married a lot of times they will have children. See, they already have one child (point to the other kid). Mommy and Daddy got married and had you and (insert sibling if applicable).

C: How does it happen?

M: They have sex, that's how they get pregnant.

C: Ok. (or, for the more curious child, more questions which a parent can answer how they choose instead of having someone else (another child, perhaps) explain it instead.)

You know, I'm tired of they mysterious ways of females being somewhat hidden from society and definately hidden from children. What a wonderful thing a woman can do, and how awful that by it's very mystery it becomes something less than clean and honorable.

How funny... we can have tampax and maxi pad commercials all over the place... but hush up and pull away from the pregnant barbie.

God save us when violence, promiscuity and lack of morals is acceptable in advertising... but a married, pregnant barbie is not.
santasdad
baby dolls that wet themselves, cry and make all kinds of other trouble have been the rage for little girls for 50 or more years....i guess toy babies dont promote wanting babies....uh, whatever.

I guess the real objection is showing a pregnant doll, maybe these complaints come from parents who still tell their kids they came from the cabbage patch.

my take: plenty of dumb, puritanical americans around, no big surprise.
MadMax
QUOTE(santasdad @ Dec 25 2002, 08:58 PM)
baby dolls that wet themselves, cry and make all kinds of other trouble have been the rage for little girls for 50 or more years....i guess toy babies dont promote wanting babies....uh, whatever.

I forgot this in my post... it's a very good point. Really, how can such dolls be any less probable to cause teenage pregnancy than a pregnant doll?

And what's wrong with nurturing the nurturing side of children? My DD is a nurtuer and I encourage it. Better than having a "who the heck cares" kind of kid.
Danya
A few thoughts.

1. Do they think kids have never seen a pregnant woman before? Any kid that has brothers and sisters has likely lived with one. Does seeing real pregnant women promote teen pregnancy? If so shouldn't they have to wear buhrkas in public?

2. Do they think little girls don't make their barbies kiss and occasionally 'do it' with Ken already? Some may not understand what 'it' is but they know how to make them lay down on top of each other.

3. I'm surprised the pro life group doesn't adore this doll. I have not seen what the baby looks like or how it get's delivered but this really seems right up their alley.
MadMax
QUOTE(Danya @ Dec 26 2002, 02:45 AM)
I have not seen what the baby looks like or how it get's delivered but this really seems right up their alley.

The tummy pops off... not quite realistic in that sense, but probably all that could be done with a hard plastic doll. Pop off the tummy, pull out the baby and replace with the flat tummy I believe.
AuthorMusician
Walmart isn't exactly the kind of store that gives a hoot about what we think as long as we spend the bucks. It reacts to negative consumer feedback on products, that's all. Pregnant dolls, raunchy song lyrics, or poorly constructed clothing--it's all the same and it is all amoral.

Kids like to play with toys that reflect what they will become as adults. I personally don't see anything wrong with a pregnant doll. I suppose some kids might be shocked at how we reproduce (I think chickens have the right idea), but other things probably shock them more in this world. Obviously there are a bunch of Walmart consumers who want to protect their kiddies from reality shock.

Poor kids. Hope they recover from this particularly nasty form of warpage. Makes me wonder how the parents were treated as kids.
otseng
"It promotes teenage pregnancy"??? I don't see the logic.

I don't see anything wrong with the pregnant doll. I believe it could serve as a good conversation starter about pregnancy.
Momof3
Ok maybe it is just me. But I know for a fact that this doll is not the only thing Wal-mart does when there is a complaint about something that some people do not want for their Children. I know that there are movies they have removed from the shelves or replaced them edited. Isn't this a form of censorship? I find this totally out of their juristriction. If you don't want your child to have a pregnant doll or a Movie that you don't want them to watch "DON'T BUY IT". And I am not talking about an R Rated Movie. As for a pregnant doll, come on. I agree with Danya. How many kids out there are only children? Or how many have an aunt that is pregnant? Get in the real world Wal-mart. dry.gif dry.gif dry.gif dry.gif dry.gif
Juber3
To me little girls shouldn't know about pregnancy because they are not ready. The pregnet baby doll may be simple but a disgrace to little girls around the world
Google
Cyan
QUOTE(juber3 @ Dec 27 2002, 11:35 AM)
To me little girls shouldn't know about pregnancy because they are not ready. The pregnet baby doll may be simple but a disgrace to little girls around the world

Why shouldn't little girls know about pregnancy? It's a completely natural part of the cycle of life, and it doesn't necessarily have to be discussed along with the topic of sexuality if that's what makes parents uncomfortable. I don't understand why you think that is a disgrace to girls to understand how their bodies work.
MadMax
QUOTE(juber3 @ Dec 27 2002, 01:35 PM)

Woah...
Why not? There is no part of the cycle of life that needs to be hidden from view. None that is shameful and certainly none that is disgraceful.

Disgraceful is a reason that we have abandoned babies, dead babies, self abortions and so on in our younger women.

Disgrace is when a person is ignorant on the cycle of life going from conception through death. Disgrace is when girls know so little about their bodies that they believe you can't get pregnant the first time.

I can think of a lot of disgraceful things along the lines of this topic, but pregnancy is not one them.
MadMax
(Add on)

Furthermore, how is the doll any less disgraceful than mommy expecting a younger sibling? Any less so than meeting a pregnant lady in public?

Should we lock away, along with the pregnant doll, all the pregnant women? Like way back when a woman started to show she was confined to her home to be seen only by family and the closest of friends?

The cycle of life is a beautiful, awesome and miraculous thing... to hide it from the sweetest and most innocent of us (children) is a crime, IMO.
Wertz
And what about pets? Should it be mandatory that all cats and dogs in households with children be neutered? Families that don't want their kids being exposed to pregnancy (or, God forbid, sexual activity) will probably have their animals "fixed" as soon as possible. Those same families have every right to refrain from buying a pregnant doll. For everyone else, the Warped Morality Police who put pressure on Wal-Mart are crossing the line yet again.

My only concern is with the ease of the delivery. Shouldn't the baby have to be pushed out through some tiny plastic opening with Midge screaming and sweating?
Roy
Parents have always feared the sex talk and explaining pregnancy. There's nothing wrong with this doll. The stomch popping off might be a little tough to explain to a very young child but there should be a reccomended age anyhow.

Pulling the doll from the shelves? Man, that's drastic.
A step back for social & emotional evolution.
This is a simplified version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.