Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Can't kill' em? Sue 'em!
America's Debate > Archive > Assorted Issues Archive > [A] Big Trials and Legal Cases
Google
Jaime
I just read this article, so I'm still ingesting it: SEPTEMBER 11 LAWSUIT AGAINST IRAQ MOVES FORWARD

My initial reaction is to be against this. How can we expect a soveign nation to answer a plaintiff in an American court? It is for similar reasons we chose not to join the ICC (see my post in Foreigh Policy - US vs. ICC, 08/13/02).

I'm also curious how the plaintiff is going to justify venue and juristdiction... wink.gif
Google
JohnProia
Jurisdiction? The Seventh Fleet, 101st Airborne, Marines, and every fighter plane we have. biggrin.gif
drmarcs
I think this is a great sign that these people are suing, it shows that some of the victims can see what caused their family member to die. I just wish the others would stop whining about money and join the fight.
Jaime
I think I'll whine about the money and I'm not a "victim" of 9/11.

What makes me mad about this lawsuit is the fact that is will ultimately cost the American taxpayer for a problem caused by no American.

This case will be held in our US Courts. We will be required to pay the judge, clerks, baliffs and court reporters. There will be the additional expenses, albiet minor, for the insurance costs for the building, the copies of paperwork, the computer system to house all the info (you see where I'm going with this). In the end this will cost the American people a LOT of tax dollars for a case on which there is very little chance of recovery.

In most states, an ethical civil attorney will not take a case if there is little chance of recovery. I think the attorneys who brought this suit are being unrealistic.

Lawsuits DO NOT provide "closure." It is sad these victims are so caught up in their grief (giving them the benefit of the doubt and not calling it greed) that they can't see the ridiculousness of suing enemy nations and the fact that it will create more victims - the taxpayers who have to pay for this.
drmarcs
A group sued Libya for the bombing of Pan Am 800 and won. The Libyan government has also taken responsibility for the bombing and “say” they will pay up.

They are also doing this to look like they don’t like terrorist since we are at war with terror, because they are afraid because another Ronald Reagan is in the White House, and they want to become part of the UN.

So maybe its not too bad of an idea, maybe it will clean up those dirty Saudies.
Big_Brother_Watches
These people are LAUGHING AT US!!! The have deep pockets. This is chump change.
JohnProia
1 trillion is chump change? Please, 1 trillion is a year's budget for the USA. 1 trillion for a terror organization is ALL the change.
Jaime
What is really sad is that the very thing that fills the pockets of these countries being sued is our oil money.

In essence, if these plaintiffs win, there is a good chance oil prices will be raised in order to pad these governments' coffers to payoff the judgment. It's a lose/lose situation - unless you're one of these plaintiffs...or their attorneys. wink.gif
JohnProia
Wait, I just saw: It isn't 1 trillion, it is ONE HUNDRED TRILLION. Big difference. That is enough cash to bankrupt an entire region (namely, the Middle East) Holy sh1t.
Limpubus
I think it's odd how cocky our country is. I could be wrong here but doesn't our government protect us from being tried in another country. With that in mind how can we be so hypocritical to another's way of living as to try to sue them for defending themselves.
Google
JohnProia
Our government is protecting us from political courts. The ICC and others courts of that type are political kangaroo courts. Our government is not trying this case, and it is being tried against the plotters, financiers, and nations that supported the WAR CRIMES of the Eleventh of September.
Jaime
Oddly enough, I find I agree with Limpubus on something tongue.gif Our country is VERY cocky. Some may argue that this cockiness is justifiable since we are the most free, stable nation in the world.

In this instance, I think it just makes us look, at best, like hypocrites; at worst, like imperialists. Suing citizens of foreign nations, who do not reside in America, expecting them to recognize our law as theirs is hyprocritical in light of our stand on the ICC. These defendants will see this as a "political crime" and will seek out their own government's protection from our "kangaroo court" (or whatever the phrase may be in Arabic...).

I fully support destabilizing terrorism economically. I understand the philosophical point of the plaintiffs in this case. Realistically, this is not the way to do it.
JohnProia
We are not hunting them in foreign lands. If the suit is won by the plaintiffs, the money will be retreived from US holding companies and accounts. Yes, BTW, we are cocky. And do you know why?

BECAUSE WE ARE SUPERIOR HUMAN BEINGS!!! THE REST OF THE WORLD IS FILTHY F***ING GARBAGE NEXT TO US
Limpubus
Alright John, have ever heard someone say that there is no one right way to live. If you haven't I'd suggest looking into a little bit of anthropology. The rest of the world is not filthy F***ing garbage they merely have there own agendas. We are not superior beings and If we want to save this land that we live on we need to realize that.
JohnProia
Limpubus, our way of living, not genetics, is superior to the world. They're weak intellects and backwards thinking is inferior to the USA. Bite me, bite me, and that's all I have to say.
This is a simplified version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.