Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Is John Kerry's judgement deeply flawed?
America's Debate > Archive > Election Forum Archive > [A] Election 2004
Google
Bikerdad
Peter Yarrow, of the folk trio Peter, Paul, and Mary, was convicted of chidl molestation in 1970, pardoned by Jimmy Carter in 1981.

In 1973, Alexandra Kerry was born, selected as her godfather was Peter Yarrow. It is difficult to believe that this selection was made contrary to John Kerry's wishes, as Yarrow performed at the wedding of John Kerry and Theresa Heinz in 1995.

Kerry selects molester as godfather.

Yarrow has been assisting Kerry in his camaign, including travelling on the Kerry campaign bus and serving as the Senator's "opening act" for 4 days during the Iowa caucuses.

Iowa Campaign Report

Questions for consideration:

Does the selection of Yarrow as a godfather to his daughter speak well, or poorly, of Kerry's practical judgement?

What does the inclusion and utilization of Yarrow in his Presidential campaign indicate about Kerry's political judgement?

Does this information have any impact on your assessment of Kerry, and if so, does it have any impact on your vote? (assume, for sake of consideration, that you have yet to vote, even if you voted early)
Google
snaybird
I don't think that this says much if anything about Kerry's political judgment. I think it suggests that Peter and Kerry have been friends for a long time and Kerry believed that a minor celeb wouldn't hurt on the campaign trail.
SuzySteamboat
Does the selection of Yarrow as a godfather to his daughter speak well, or poorly, of Kerry's practical judgement?

I can see how answering a door nude is indecent exposure and making lewd advances is something else... but I thought that child molestation was when you inappropriately touch a child? Still, having anyone on the campaign with this kind of dirt in their background is a bad move on Kerry's part.

What does the inclusion and utilization of Yarrow in his Presidential campaign indicate about Kerry's political judgement?

Absolutely nothing. It's not a politically-related topic.

Does this information have any impact on your assessment of Kerry, and if so, does it have any impact on your vote?  (assume, for sake of consideration, that you have yet to vote, even if you voted early)

Nope. I'm voting Kerry in as the lesser of two evils. And I'm sorry, but greeting some underaged girls naked in the 1970s (wonder what Bush was doing then, hmm? shifty.gif) and making lewd advances towards them indicates to me that Peter Yarrow doesn't intentionally seek underaged girls to gratify him, but that he was probably lonely and drunk/high at the time. If there were a pattern to this behavior I'd say something different, but a one-time occurrance doesn't exactly warrant a big reaction out of me. I still don't think this kind of campaigning fluke compares to Bush's campaigning at racist Bob Jones University in 2000 - speak about character flaws wacko.gif
kalabus
George Bush and many of the republicans associated with Strom Thurmond who was a racist and a rapist.

It indicates nothing about his political judgement. Laura Bush grew up a democrat and she is the stabilizing factor of Bush's life. is this a judegment of Bush that unless a democrat controls an aspect of his life he cannot make sound political judgements? I could certainly make a bigger case for that then this affecting Kerry's political judgement.
Curmudgeon
Does the selection of Yarrow as a godfather to his daughter speak well, or poorly, of Kerry's practical judgment?

Personally, I cannot recall running a police background check before selecting our daughter's godparents. Our daughter's godparents were chosen at the time because of meaningful personal relationships, because the Catholic Church demanded that we name someone before they would baptize her, and not because we actually expected them to take over raising her if we happened to die suddenly from the bubonic plague. I suspect that Kerry's choice reflects on the fact that Kerry knew him.

What does the inclusion and utilization of Yarrow in his Presidential campaign indicate about Kerry's political judgment?

I don't think I will worry any further about this story than I will about the rumors that "The Gropinator" plans to stand up and say "I'll be Bach!" because W. lacks the memory to deliver a new and creative thought like that when he is speaking to his loyal devotees.

To be a threat, a child molester would have to find an unguarded child at a political rally. An actor/Governor who reportedly likes to fondle pretty women, on the other hand, would merely have to find a grown infatuated woman at a political rally, in order to risk posing a threat to the campaign. (Does Yarrow have the paparazzi coverage that Schwarzenegger does? You had to explain to me who he is...) I have attended enough rallies to say with certainty there are more grown women attending than young children, and that most parents keep their children very close to them in such a large crowd.

It would seem to me that W's choice of a governor who I am told is pro choice, pro stem cell research, pro balanced budget... Well, I've heard the question asked, "Whose campaign does Arnold mean to terminate by campaigning with Bush?"

The inclusion and utilization of Schwarzenegger in his Presidential campaign would seem to indicate something amiss about Bush's practical and political judgment. I don't see a need however to start another thread questioning Bush's judgment and character. I'm certain that his supporters already feel that I've made enough posts trying to expose his flaws.

Does this information have any impact on your assessment of Kerry, and if so, does it have any impact on your vote? (assume, for sake of consideration, that you have yet to vote, even if you voted early)

hmmm.gif Nope. On balance, I still find that I believe John Kerry has more to offer the country than George "W" Bush...
nebraska29
Questions for consideration:

2.)Nothing-Yarrow spent three months in jail, received psychiatric care, and was pardoned. What would you like to have him do?

3.)It's a rather trivial, but effective smear tool, and that's all it is. I'm a little disappointed that something like this would be thrown in here at A.D. We comment on credible news stories, not dressed-up, partisan smear attacks that ultimately serve no purpose other than to give the smear master more votes. I didn't agree when people of my political leanings posted that stuff about George being a druggie and of being AWOL in the guard, and this is no different.
AuthorMusician

I guess Kerry trusts his and his wife's ability to raise a kid who won't go running to some declining folky's hotel room looking for autographs and fast times. So, if this selection speaks anything, it's about rationality and confidence.

That he doesn't think that something that happened 34 years ago is relevant to today? Especially something as strange as this case, and that turned out to be a pardonable offense? That he (Kerry) did nothing wrong, as opposed to GWB who was snorting and guzzling with abandon? Wonder how many underage kids GWB nabbed during his black-out time.

No, and no. I have no buyer's remorse, as opposed to many Republicans, especially those who are worried about deficits, employment or Iraq. GWB is Johnson, Nixon and Hoover all wrapped into one package.

Heh, GWB's like el presidente Frankenstein on this Halloween! Wouldn't that make a great mask?
Paladin Elspeth

I don't think it indicates anything about Kerry's political judgement, unless you think that Bush's inclusion of Rudolph Giuliani, who had his mistress shack up with him in Gracie Mansion while he was Mayor and still married, indicates something about George W. Bush's political judgement.

In addition, other posters have described the circumstances under which Yarrow was arrested and convicted. If he was a dyed in the wool child molester, would Jimmy Carter have pardoned him?

Certainly not, but nice try.
nebraska29
I don't think it indicates anything about Kerry's political judgement, unless you think that Bush's inclusion of Rudolph Giuliani, who had his mistress shack up with him in Gracie Mansion while he was Mayor and still married, indicates something about George W. Bush's political judgement.

Excellent point Paladin, I doubt anyone would take issue with your examples. As stated in my previous post, it would be very easy to take a given situation and make a far-flung leap eqauating a person or party with bad behavior that occured years ago. But why go back that far?

I could easily make a thread here at A.D. and post the following(This is just an example, not a partsian attack, so please think of the econtext here in which I post this):

A Republican state legislative candidate suspended his campaign Friday after news surfaced of his arrest record for exposing himself to children.

Alan Fortney was arrested three times since 1981 on misdemeanor counts of indecent exposure. He was fined but never served time in jail, he told the Log Cabin Democrat newspaper of Conway, about 25 miles north of Little Rock.

source

1.)What does the relationship between Fortney and the GOP say about the GOP's regard for children?

2.)Is this how the GOP is "for kids"?

I hope that the majority of folks see my example here. By no means would it be right to accuse the GOP to be in cahoots with this guy. What looks to be a credible relationship, is not. Yet, we have this Yarrow thing posted unfortunately, in all seriousness with no greater purpose than to forward one candidate's ability to squeeze out a few more votes from people who might not do their own homework and who are rather gullible to believe this kind of thing. Even if you compare Fortney to Yarrow, there is a big differenceThe difference about the size of the grand canyon. (1)Yarrow was contrite; (2)He received psychological help; (3)He served prison time. The goal of our correctional system is to rehabilitate people so that they can become contributing members of society and participate well with others.
BoF
QUOTE(nebraska29 @ Oct 31 2004, 08:46 AM)
Does this information have any impact on your assessment of Kerry, and if so, does it have any impact on your vote?  (assume, for sake of consideration, that you have yet to vote, even if you voted early)

It's a rather trivial, but effective smear tool, and that's all it is.  I'm a little disappointed that something like this would be thrown in here at A.D.  We comment on credible news stories, not dressed-up, partisan smear attacks that ultimately serve no purpose other than to give the smear master more votes.  I didn't agree when people of my political leanings posted that stuff about George being a druggie and of being AWOL in the guard, and this is no different.

I agree with Nebraska. I had hoped that this thread would die the natural death it deserves. In fact, I wasn’t going to post (bump) on this inflammatory, guilt-by-association thread from the right-wing World Net Daily, but now that dlud37hud has bumped it on an entirely different issue, I’m going to have my say.

Evidence that the article is biased, not straight journalism is seen in the quote below.

At a primary season party for supporters in Ames, Iowa, Yarrow was performing "Puff the Magic Dragon." As reported by the Washington Post's Ceci Connolly, "Kerry lifted his fingers to his mouth for a quick toke on an imaginary joint. You can almost see his thick mane of silver hair returning to the shaggy brown 'do of those days."

Yarrow has denied the hit song of yesteryear was about puffing marijuana.

Original World Net Daily Basis for this Thread

Featured prominently on the WND page are advertisements for “conservative” books by Sean Hannity, Ann Coulter and other luminaries of the right wing fringe crowd.

WND Ad for Conservative Book Club

The link below is to stories on WND. I looked at a couple of them. Like other right-wing media they seem to mix “fact” and opinion rather freely. There’s a negative story about the venerated Walter Cronkite and another laughable example of bias where a hand writing “expert” whose opinion WND uses to, you guessed it, paint Bush as the good guy and Kerry the bad guy.

A List of WND Biased Stories

A thread is only as good as the source upon which it is based. WND fails miserably at objectivity. Fortunately, this isn't going to be the October surprise.

To answser the question, I've already voted for Kerry and there's no way this kind of smear job would change my vote.
Google
smorpheus
QUOTE(dlud37hud @ Oct 31 2004, 11:58 PM)
Here is what is important about Kerry's (lack of) judgment:

... Thick as Maple-Syrup reiteration of every Republican talking point currently being bandied about ...

Wow that has got to be the most off-topic post I have ever seen here on AD. Congratulations DLUD, that's quite a feat! I think you broke no less than six posting rules! laugh.gif

Bringing it back on Topic.

This "story" is nothing more than a smear tactic, and you'd have to have had your eyes gouged out by GOP-Operated Clockwork Ravens [tm] to not be able to see that. I'm not even sure what in the heck it's supposed to mean. It's nice to see that the Republicans are already coming up with sex-related stuff to attack our next President with, but I mean, I don't even think Fox News would pick up on this in a desperate bid to fill time with talking heads without first throwing all journalistic integrity out the window.

What is there to talk about? .. This hurts my head. Yes, it's true John "Commie Lover" Kerry is pro-child molestor, and definitely pro-flasher, and is so evil he has sacrificed his daughter to a child molestor in the name of having a celebrity friend.

I'm glad that Republicans have embraced their Christain values so closely that they haven't forgotten such trivial Jesus-ideals like redemption and forgiveness. Or is God the only one allowed to do that?
quarkhead
CLOSED. Off topic.

Unfortunately, a number of members have forced us to be more strict in the handling of off-topic posts as of late. Between now & the election if a thread goes off topic we will close the thread without the normal warning. It is unfortunate a few members are forcing us to be like this. Please conduct yourself in a civil fashion.
This is a simplified version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.