Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The effects of teleportation...
America's Debate > Archive > Assorted Issues Archive > [A] Science and Technology
Google
Mike
Cyclone said:
If someone would get busy on my teleportation idea, the whole issue would be moot.

I have always contended that widespread teleportation would be a catalyst for the end of the US.

I believe this mainly for economic reasons.

All airlines would shut down. All railroads would shut down. All transport (trucking) companies would be gone. All automobile manufacturers would be gone.

Along with this goes the workers that operate and maintain these companies, as well as accounting firms, the companies that make their supplies, and on and on...

I think this would kill our economy, and put millions out of work.

Anyone agree? Anyone?

Mike
Google
otseng
Not only economic collapse, but also societal collapse. Everyone will be teleporting each other everywhere so that nobody will know what in the universe is going on. You might wake up and find yourself on another planet (and they forgot to teleport your teleporter for you to get back).
cyclone
No, that wouldn't happen--you can only transport yourself to another teleporter pod. Granted, there would be some accidents, but that's to be expected with any form of transportation. If you're lucky, the worst that will happen is that you'll get shrunk to miniature size like Mike Teevee. You just have to be sure you don't get into the teleportation pod with a fly--we all know how that would turn out.

Seriously--well, sort of, anyway--I think there would be a little bit of a shock at first, but we'll bounce back. If anything, all the time and energy freed up from not having to worry about getting from here to there, or getting stuff from here to there, would allow us to pursue all sorts of lofty goals we otherwise wouldn't have time for, like developing third world nations, or writing the books we all have always wanted to write. If nothing else, prices of consumer goods would plummet, considering transportation costs would be eliminated. Don't you think other avenues of industry would open up? Let me do some thinking--there must be some logical counterbalance for removing all transportation-related industry out of the picture.
Wertz
QUOTE(otseng @ Jan 14 2003, 04:19 PM)
You might wake up and find yourself on another planet (and they forgot to teleport your teleporter for you to get back).

I don't see that as a problem. You could just whip out your portable time machine and go back to before you were teleported in the first place.

Is this really the Science and Technology thread? Then again, this is the foruum that gave us a lengthy Sasquatch discussion...

rolleyes.gif
Mike
Seriously, Wertz. This is appropriate, isn't it?

It is a debate, and it is about science and technology. Would you believe that I considered putting this in Economic Debate?

I'll dig up an article to go along with this, as scientists have already been able to teleport a laser beam (seriously).

Cyclone, I'm looking forward to your response, as I have been thinking about this for years...

I do think, though, that some absolutely wonderful things could happen as a result of the invention of teleportation.

Police response time would increase, as would ambulatory services. Organs could be shipped instantly for transplant.

Pollution would be lessened, given we would likely not need cars, and we would have a clean energy source (...which could happen. If we could teleport power, the entire world could be powered by a solar array the size of Rhode Island placed in the Sahara).

It would be easy to deliver food and medicine to poverty-striken nations.

Instant evacuations could occur in the event of an impeding natural disaster.

The list of positive things could easily number into the thousands...

Mike
Gray Seal
We could economically handle teleportation. Having warp engines at around the same time will open new avenues of commerce. w00t.gif
Basheva
.......and we would all have the fun of ending unpleasant situations and conversations by saying:

BEAM ME UP!
Stefan Fargus
The 'teleportation industry', in and of itself, would probably be big enough to offset most of the job losses that occur, I would like to think. Besides that, you'd always have people that are too paranoid to trust the new technology, so I doubt that the traditional means of travel would die out completely. In fact, I'd bet they'd become somewhat of a 'novelty'.

To the nay-sayer, Wertz wink2.gif , who suggests that this is not the stuff of real science, this is most definitely something that is being explored:
IBM Research: Quantum Teleportation.
Successful Quantum Teleportation of Light Particles.
They're working on it. I doubt that we'll see a human being teleported in our lifetimes, but then again... Look where technology is now, compared to 20 years ago? With new innovations and discoveries being made every day, who's to say what is possible? I only hope that they don't get duped into signing a contract with Microsoft for the teleporter operating system. 'Ctrl-Alt-Delete' are not keys I want pressed while I'm "beaming". tongue.gif biggrin.gif
Stefan Fargus
Sorry about the double-post here, but this thread has really got me to thinking. online2long.gif I was sitting here, and I began to consider all of the other potential uses for technology like this. Imagine a box sitting on your kitchen counter that can 'teleport', or more accurately, 'replicate' any kind of food that you like... Your favorite dessert from a restaurant, to your grandmother's top secret spaghetti sauce, (Prego, if she's anything like my grandmother huh.gif ). Did you really enjoy that dinner you had last night? NO PROBLEM! You can have an exact duplicate of it, tonight. w00t.gif Imagine setting these up in 3rd world countries to feed the hungry, to provide clean drinking water, and so fourth.
Beyond this, even, there are so many other implications for this technology, it is incredible. The world would become incredibly small to us. You'd no longer be limited by commute time & expense (NO MORE TRAFFIC!!!!!) You could have tea in London at 4pm, and a quick game of chess with your new friend Yuri from Moscow at 5. You could catch Cats on Broadway at 7, and still get home to your location on time to be in bed by 11. sleep.gif This, so you can report promptly to your new job at the "Mall on the Moon", running a keosk that sells "Pet Moon Rocks" to unsuspecting children... whistling.gif I'd love to live in a world like this, personally, and I hope I live to see the day.
Basheva
This would be a nightmare for parents with teenage children....

"Where in the world were you tonight?"

"Everywhere, mom."
Google
Jaime
Don't worry, Basheva. I'm sure we'll all be over our fears of Chip Implants by then.

Parents can track their kids by their UPS receivers - Universal Positioning System, since GPSs will be obsolete. biggrin.gif online2long.gif
otseng
QUOTE(Jaime @ Jan 30 2003, 01:33 PM)
Don't worry, Basheva.  I'm sure we'll all be over our fears of Chip Implants by then.

Parents can track their kids by their UPS receivers  - Universal Positioning System, since GPSs will be obsolete.  biggrin.gif  online2long.gif

Unless of course they teleport to a location outside the range of UPS satellites. (Does UPS use satellites?)
quarkhead
This technology, at least at first, would have to be heavily guarded and restricted, or imagine how it could be used for terrorists, armies, etc. How easy it would be to assassinate a leader. What a military equalizer, as well.

As an optimist, I would imagine that this technology would ultimately be revolutionary in many ways, in particular, perhaps it would mean an end to capitalism (think about it), and an end to the need for a military. Perhaps, and here I really am dreaming, it would mean an end to national borders...
Darcaine
QUOTE(quarkhead @ Jan 30 2003, 05:47 PM)
This technology, at least at first, would have to be heavily guarded and restricted, or imagine how it could be used for terrorists, armies, etc. How easy it would be to assassinate a leader. What a military equalizer, as well.

As an optimist, I would imagine that this technology would ultimately be revolutionary in many ways, in particular, perhaps it would mean an end to capitalism (think about it), and an end to the need for a military. Perhaps, and here I really am dreaming, it would mean an end to national borders...

Hey, didn't some scientist in Australia alreadlt teleport an electron?

Darcaine
LFTHNDTHRDS
Hey, since everyone here is talking about "super-duper", neato technology, I was going to add something about the Motionless Electromagnetic Generator. But, since this would probably branch off into another discussion, I've added a seperate thread as to not diverge from this one since the direction it's going is getting very entertaining.

Well, I'm off to Portugal now.

O.K., I'm back w00t.gif
Basheva
LFTHNDTHRDS - Lol- welcome back. smile.gif

Well, if you folks are worried about armies getting transported or someone transporting into your bedroom (depending on who that is of course) or into your bathroom (especially when you left all those dirty towels laying around ) -

well.....just put your shields up. And get the warp outa there. Simple.
Stefan Fargus
QUOTE(Darcaine @ Jan 30 2003, 10:10 PM)
QUOTE(quarkhead @ Jan 30 2003, 05:47 PM)

Hey, didn't some scientist in Australia alreadlt teleport an electron?

Darcaine

Yes, but I believe it was a few photons. I linked to the story in an earlier post in this thread.
This is a simplified version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2021 Invision Power Services, Inc.