Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: No profit for Politicians
America's Debate > Archive > Policy Debate Archive > [A] Domestic Policy
Google
Christopher
A law or Amendment that essentially banned an public official from soliciting anything of value from anyone. Not a pen or a campaign contribution. Nothing--Nada.

Would you support such an action?

Would it help solve corruption in politics and undue influence of lobbyists?
Google
Cyan
Would you support such an action?

No. This seems like a good way to ensure that the only people who ever get elected are those who already have a massive amount of money to put towards their own political campaign. I realize that this is already largely the case, but a law like the one that you are suggesting would only worsen the situation.

Would it help solve corruption in politics and undue influence of lobbyists?

I don't know. It seems like lobbyists are going to find a way to influence politicians one way or another. I'm not saying that we shouldn't try to eleviate this a bit, but your suggestion just doesn't seem like the right way to go about it. Political campaigns cost money, and it has to come from somewhere. I would rather not see a situation that only ensures that those with cash are the only ones who can run.
Google
This is a simplified version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.